Information and the Future

This is the blog of the Information and the Future task force of the Rolfing Library at Trinity International University. The IF task force exists to explore the role of libraries in the future of Christian higher education.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Kindle debate continues

Here's one interesting (and relatively brief) take on the downside of Kindle.

Can't say I weigh in too much with my own opinion because I don't anticipate having the funds to splurge on such a device. I still haven't bought an iPod with enough space to download podcasts, sermons, and audiobooks, so the Kindle isn't in my future.

Interestingly enough, my aunt's husband recently purchased a Kindle and he's been reading fiction books on it and apparently likes it. I hadn't seen one up close before then, but it was a bigger device than I anticipated.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    I don't know if I can agree with his first point (that the Kindle destroys the physical traces of the author because we can't see the original printing). For older books, we generally read reprints anyway, which wouldn't keep the printing and binding formats anyway.

    His second point, about being able to share books, is a good one. Have there been any updates in how Kindles would work with libraries?

    And I'd have to say his third point is probably why i wouldn't generally like a Kindle - it doesn't seem like it would be as pleasant for relaxing reading. I wonder if it could be useful for research purposes though - you could probably search the full-text of books for what you want? I've been using Google Books for that purpose lately, which means I haven't necessarily been reading the full books on my topic, but gleaning what I need (which can have its pluses and minuses).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home