Information and the Future

This is the blog of the Information and the Future task force of the Rolfing Library at Trinity International University. The IF task force exists to explore the role of libraries in the future of Christian higher education.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Online book clubs

My sister was telling me that she just signed up for an online book club at her public library. Each day, they send her an email with a 5-minute excerpt from one of their online books. After a week, you'll have read 2-3 chapters.

Here's a link to her library's site on it:
http://www.supportlibrary.com/su/su.cfm?x=110889

It reminded me of an article I just read in the Chronicle of Higher Education talking about how fast-paced students today are. They try to do everything at once. The author was bemoaning this fact, and urged professors to help their students slow down and focus on something. But he also talked about other professors that do work to fit with these new types of students. I can see both sides. From a library perspective, it seems like we do have to recognize that people do live in a fast-paced world, and reading five minutes a day will be more than most people do!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger arcee said…

    I wonder how well people are able to retain information if they spend about five minutes a day on it. When I ask this, I'm not trying to assume something negative, I just wonder how the mind works...This is an interesting approach and perhaps one worth testing out on our patrons.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home